You may have heard of ccache (Compiler Cache) which saves you heaps of real world time when rebuilding a source tree that is rather similar to one you’ve recently built before. It’s really useful in buildroot based projects where you’re building similar trees, or have done a minor bump of some components.
In trying to find a commit which introduced a bug in op-build (OpenPOWER firmware), I noticed that hostboot wasn’t being built using ccache and we were always doing a full build. So, I started digging into it.
It turns out that a bunch of the perl scripts for parsing the Machine Readable Workbook XML in hostboot did a bunch of things like
foreach $key (%hash) – which means that the code iterates over the items in hash order rather than an order that would produce predictable output such as “attribute name” or something. So… much messing with that later, I had hostboot generating the same output for the same input on every build.
Next step was to work out why I was still getting a lot of CCACHE misses. It turns out the default ccache size is 5GB. A full hostboot build uses around 7.1GB of that.
So, if building op-build with CCACHE, be sure to set both
BR2_CCACHE=y in your config as well as something like
Hopefully my patches hit hostboot and op-build soon.