Well, following on from my post where I excitedly pointed out that Raptor Blackbird support: all upstream in op-build v2.5, that means I can do another in my series of (close to) upstream Blackbird firmware builds.
This time, the only difference from straight upstream op-build v2.5 is my fixes for buildroot so that I can actually build it on Fedora 32.
So, head over to https://www.flamingspork.com/blackbird/op-build-v2.5-blackbird-images/ and grab blackbird.pnor to flash it on your blackbird, let me know how it goes!
Thanks to my most recent PR being merged, op-build v2.5 will have full support for the Raptor Blackbird! This includes support for the “IPL Monitor” that’s required to get fan control going.
Note that if you’re running Fedora 32 then you need some patches to buildroot to have it build, but if you’re building on something a little older, then upstream should build and work straight out of the box (err… git tree).
I also note that the work to get Secure Boot for an OS Kernel going is starting to make its way out for code reviews, so that’s something to look forward to (although without a TPM we’re going to need extra code).
You may have heard of ccache (Compiler Cache) which saves you heaps of real world time when rebuilding a source tree that is rather similar to one you’ve recently built before. It’s really useful in buildroot based projects where you’re building similar trees, or have done a minor bump of some components.
In trying to find a commit which introduced a bug in op-build (OpenPOWER firmware), I noticed that hostboot wasn’t being built using ccache and we were always doing a full build. So, I started digging into it.
It turns out that a bunch of the perl scripts for parsing the Machine Readable Workbook XML in hostboot did a bunch of things like
foreach $key (%hash) – which means that the code iterates over the items in hash order rather than an order that would produce predictable output such as “attribute name” or something. So… much messing with that later, I had hostboot generating the same output for the same input on every build.
Next step was to work out why I was still getting a lot of CCACHE misses. It turns out the default ccache size is 5GB. A full hostboot build uses around 7.1GB of that.
So, if building op-build with CCACHE, be sure to set both
BR2_CCACHE=y in your config as well as something like
Hopefully my patches hit hostboot and op-build soon.